Monday, April 4, 2011

My new computer

Been a while since my last post, as i have been busy with my new job in my new hospital. I have also been out of touch with the sceptic/atheist world due to new job commitments. This should not be a long term problem, but it does mean that right now i don’t have anything terribly interesting to talk about. So I’m going to talk about my new computer.

My last computer was a 3 1/2 year old P.O.S. that was well ast it's use by date and would not turn on most of the time and if it did, it would take forever to perform even the most basic tasks. I'm not a "techie" person so I felt that my next computer should be something nice and basic. I'm not a graphic designer or a PC gamer, so I don’t need anything powerful. I don’t care for the 'prettiness' of certain machines. I don’t care about Blu-ray, or HD graphics. I don’t care about programming. So I've bought the most basic, user friendly, cheap and simple computer i could find. I’m not going to say what it is, because I am sure there are people out there who will laugh at me if I mention any brand of computer, because they are all biased. Funny thing is, it's got better specs than my 3 1/2 year old computer that cost 5 times as much and was considered a pretty awesome machine. Technology huh?

I needed a computer for my new job, a peri-operative nurse, because it involves a lot of online training and research. Another reason I bought a more 'basic' computer is that soon I may buy a tablet computer for use at work and for further studies, as the tablet computers are very handy when viewing pdf. files, a common file type used in nursing research. The tablet computer will probably cost 2-3 times what I paid for my computer, but it will be my 'go anywhere computer'. That will relegate the computer I am typing this on to a ‘stay at home’ computer, its tasks purely as music organiser and file store for my research.

I sometimes feel that I am in the less populated section of the sceptic community - the non-tech group. I use computers for my work, my research, communicating and blogging, but that is it. I feel like the outcast sometimes because I don’t know how to program stuff, update open source software etc etc. In fact, I didn’t even know what open source software was until 3 weeks ago. And yes, I like windows 7. It works well with my ‘point & click’ style of computing. Is that a bad thing?
Anyway, I will try to have something more interesting for my next post.
The Reverend Doktor Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment